Thursday, November 25, 2010

Link it to yourself, link it to the world.




I am a brown girl. Well, at least at face value.

"So, what ethnicity are you?" This is something that I am often asked. Now, in the hayday of ol' Kim Kardashian, I've also been asked a few times lately if I am Armenian. No, I'm not.

At a very basic level, my mother is of Mexican decent, although she may tell you some Egyptian story - I don't know about that that, and my father is white, the basic European mixture.

"So, what are you?" Answering that question is difficult for me.

My mother, she's pretty and a lovely brown. That being the case her genes were pretty dominate and my siblings and I are more on the hispanic looking side. However, when I reply to someone that I am of Hispanic ethnicity, I don't feel that answer alone suffices. I am also half white. If I don't mention it then I feel that I am denying my daddy. But because I don't really look all that white does it seem to people that I am trying to claim to be something that I am not? If I were to answer that I am white everyone would look at me like I'm nutso. And obviously, that's the wrong answer too.

Most of the times I just feel like, well me. I don't think a lot about ethnicity. I am a woman, a mother, a friend, a boss, a person. And that is about as far as it goes most days. Then someone randomly refers to me as a senorita. And I remeber, oh yeah, I'm brown.

As I've matured and grown over time I've learned to appreciate the qualities and benefits to being of multiple decent. And it really doesn't matter all that much to me what people think. But when asked that question I have to acknowledge both of the sides of me, not to provide clarity, but to claim that I belong to both of the people I am lucky enough to call my parents.










1 comment:

JessicaNicole said...

I've been waiting for-ev-er for you to update! I miss you. You and your parents are so adorable. You should just tell people you are Charissian. You are the perfect combination of whatever makes you you! :)