So last night we watched the movie Sid & Nancy.

Two things - A) How did we not see this movie before? B) I didn’t realize, until now obviously, that Courtney Love (she did not play Nancy - fyi) was old enough to be in movies made in 1986. I mean, it all makes sense in my head now, but it didn’t seem possible when I saw her in the first few scenes. But yep, twas Ms. Love after all acting as Nancy’s bestie.
Of course I dreamed of Sid Vicious and his beloved Nancy all night long after watching said movie. The dream also included an old Sid (whom I never actually saw in the dream) that was not dead and called my dad all the time wanting to be friends, but that is neither here nor there. However, this has obviously sparked my curious side and I’ve been reading up on this duo. Also, I am working on some Sid & Nancy Halloween costume ideas. I was hoping to be Nancy, but I can be flexible.

For those of you who are not familiar with Sid Vicious he was the bass player for the Sex Pistols in the 70s. If you’re not privy to the Pistols they were an influential punk band from the UK that is often credited with contributing to the birth of punk rock music. Apparently, he wasn't an uber talented bass player, but did well enough to get by. He was highly emotional and basically a super dramatic person. So long story short, just about everyone who works in a call center has a bit of Sid Vicious in their personality I'd reckon.
I have to mention that punk was so insanely cool back then. Such good music. Such an experience to be at those shows I'd imagine. Also, I was just loving the fashion completely. This movie was oozing with awesome clothes and made me want to dig out my fishnets (which I must admit I have in yellow, pink, and nude in addition to the staple black). They are surprisingly fun to mix in with business casual wear and you can totally pull it off for work if done right. Sorry about the tangent, but hey, I am me.

As for Nancy, she was Sid's woman. She was an American girl. She was very young. She was nuts. They had a passionate, yet totally insane, relationship and were definitely the perfect couple. They both were compeletly strung out on drugs. And they wasted what could have been a pretty badass life together being soul mates and all. Before Sid, Nancy dated (or pursued/did) a handful of famous rockers, toured with Aerosmith, etc. OK, so she pretty much was a groupie to begin with.
Obviously, this ends tragically with Nancy stabbed to death by Sid when she was 20-years old. Five months later Sid overdosed on heroin at age 21. And here I am more than 30-years later reading up on people who died before I was even born. If you're not busy check out the movie on netflix yo.
In the words of Alkaline Trio - Live Young, Die Fast.
3 comments:
I was just thinking of watching this on NetFlix last night. Please stop reading my mind.
PS- I will totes be the Sid to your Halloween Nancy. I'll be HOME, you know!! :):):):):)<--- Thats me smiling all the day at the thought. haaha. Biggest. Dork. Alive.
Right on, you have to watch it. And my Sid!!! Hooray! EEEEEEEEEE! You + Home = Happy Me x12!
Seriously I so can't wait! Signed, Co-Biggest-Dork-Alive
Alright, twist my arm. I'm watching it tonight. ;)
Post a Comment