Sunday, February 5, 2012

And Everything Will Bring A Chain Of Love.




Song o' Le Week. You know, I could do this as more of a Song de Jour type post habit if I could find time. Imagine, just how annoying that could get, eh? Alas, weekly it will have to be.

This week's song is "Danny's Song". The version that I am most familiar with is the cover done by Anne Murray. It is an early 70s country-folksy type song. I totally taught it to myself today, which has annoyed my eldest kiddo the point that he is trying to distract me so I stop playing. Ironically enough, he is the reason I love this song so much.






It's 1997, I'm still only 17-years-old and I am pregnant. Preg to the Nant. I was so stressed out about it that I waited 3-months to tell my best friends. This of course is an eternity in teenage girl world, but I have a habit about keeping stuff to myself when I really shouldn't. I wouldn't blame them if they still didn't trust my secret-keepin-ass.

Anyways, at the time I am going to school in the mornings to finish out senior year, puking my guts out secretly because in addition to hiding it from my friends I am also totally hiding it from my parents too, and then scooting off to my full time swing shift job doing laundry at a local nursing home. I make a whopping $6 an hour at said job, and Joey is ballin-shot-calling with his $8.50 an hour cook job at the nearby Sizzler restaurant.

Needless to say we are basically poor partially due to my need to have a newer (but not really all that great) car and the attached payment and because when you're expecting a baby you gotta buy a lot of shit. A few months later we move into a basement apartment at graduation and I take up a night job as a CNA.

One morning I was driving home from work, feeling kind of down because HEY WHERE IS MY DREAM LIFE?!?! And this song shuffles on the oldies station. By the end of the song tears are streaming down my face because it finally all feels worth it. I get it, and it's gonna be OK. It might even be good. How about that?



People smile and tell me I'm the lucky one


And we've just begun,


I think I'm gonna have a son


He will be like him and me,


as free as a dove


Conceived in love,


the sun is gonna shine above




And even though we ain't got money


I'm so in love with ya honey


And everything will bring a chain of love


And in the mornin' when I rise


Brings a tear of joy to my eyes


And tell me everything's gonna be all right

2 comments:

Megistentialism said...

awww, love that song! Good story :)

Hilary said...

That's so sweet. I always like the Loggins and Messina version best but I'll bet your own is tops.