Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Kind of Love That Won't Fly Away.

I don’t want to jinx us, but I think spring is here! Shhhhh. I totally said that in my twelve-inch whisper (throwback to elementary school yo) voice because as you may or may not be aware we can have spring one day here in March then snow the next.

To help celebrate and welcome the warm weather my bestie, since the 8th grade, Monica and I decided it was high time we got ourselves out to the Holi Colors Festival that happens around these parts each spring. It is actually a religious festival celebrated by Hindus, however they welcome all attendees (ie us) and it is a fun way to kick off spring.

Now, I am usually down for most adventures, but the ones that involve getting...well, dirty I do occasionally have to pause and think about for a minute. And I did pack up sheets to cover my car seats and a multitude of plastic bags in preparation for our return. Hey I am totally spontaneous yo!

So Monica and I loaded ourselves up in my car and headed out for good ol’ Spanish Fork Utah. It’s about an hour drive from the SLC. It was a good time for us two girls to shoot the breeze since life sometimes prevents us from the long conversations we were able to share growing up.


(here we are all clean, well aside from some hand prints from some topless dude who decided to give us a hug on the way up)

We arrived to the temple area, alongside a few thousand others, in the early afternoon pretty excited to check it out. We were wearing our whitest clothes we were willing to sacrifice and were ready to get our color on. It was basically beyond awesome. Everyone we came upon was in a great mood tossing colored powder on each other, laughing, dancing, and just getting along. It is not often when you get thousands of people together and no one fights or causes trouble. It was an amazing mix of people ranging from kids to adults. I am totally taking the boys next year (or to an upcoming one here in SLC depending on our baseball schedule).

There were cool things to buy, unique Indian Foods (which we enjoyed and still aren’t sure what it was we ate, but it was vegetarian and deep fried full of amazing!), and surprisingly awesome music varying from rock and house music combined with the language of the culture.





We danced the day away and had a blast. It was quite the experience. It was a fantastic way for us girls to kick off spring together. Doing something free spirited like we used to do when life wasn't so…important and we just lived. The Festival of Colors probably isn’t for everyone, but it was a nice open minded day of celebration, crowd surfin, positive vibes, and we basically felt like modern day hippies.





Oh, if you have ever wondered what Easter Eggs feel like (and uh who hasn't, right?), well you should just ask me what my bathwater/I looked like that night. Lastly Monica and I also totally came up with our new band name “The Pink Cleavage” thanks to some stubborn color that decided to want to keep on hanging out with us (in strategic places) post festival. Yep.

8 comments:

Megistentialism said...

FUN! I didn't know it was powder! I've always wondered how it works! :) I would have been the same way... towels, plastic bags, etc. ;)

Hilary said...

Oh that SO looks like fun. I'd be worrying about my camera, though. How did yours fare out?

Murr Brewster said...

We always stuck pins in our eggs and blew them out before coloring them, and I never thought to wonder how they felt. And if you ended up with pink cleavage, or anything odd anywhere else you have cleavage, at least that color won't get you into the emergency room.

TexWisGirl said...

looks like a wonderful time. congrats on your POTW!

Out on the prairie said...

an amazing festival, I like the painted people best

Cheryl Kohan said...

I totally want to do this some time! Thanks to Hilary for sending me over to your blog. You are a perfect example of what a POTW should be! Congrats.

(p.s. I'm definitely going to read about the Holi Colors Festival because it looks amazing.)

chariskalee said...

@ Hilary - we brought along a lesser loved camera just to be safe, but we did OK (we kept it in a plastic bag most of the time).

And thanks for the fun comments all you guys are awesome!

Shrinky said...

You wore WHITE to go there? Haaaaaaaaaa, oh, these pictures are just too precious! I came here by way of Hilary, and am very glad I did. Congratulations on a very deserved shout out at her Post of the Week.

As a kid, we used to hard boil, then paint our eggs, for the entry into racing them down the hill, at our Sunday School picnic (usually in freezing, bone-chilling conditions - talk about faith, how blindly hopeful to hold a picnic in the wilds of the Scottish highlands at that time of year?), the winner claimed a bible for the prize, not too much of an inducement for a six or seven year old, but the winning was all!