Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Her Name Is Cherry, We've Just Met.
It must be cherry season here in SLC, UT because everywhere I turn someone is offering them up. We were given a batch of cherries this week so I decided I’d use them up in a Fresh Cherry Crumble. I mean, what else is a girl half-assing her way through 'Weight Watchers at Work' to do?
I have baked a similar item in the past however it was using frozen cherries which is a whole different animal since frozen cherries are pretty much a million times sweeter. Well, maybe not a million, but a lot sweeter.
So today I decided to wing it and came up with my own recipe and thought I’d share it, ya know in case anyone gifts you a mega ton of cherries.
Fresh Cherry Crumble
3 cups fresh cherries (pitted and sliced in half)
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
¾ cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Splenda (or real sugar – it may be better with fresh cherries, but I used Splenda)
1 tablespoon Corn Starch
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
¼ tsp Nutmeg
¼ cup Almond Slivers
Preheat oven to 375
Mix the Splenda (or sugar) with the Corn Starch in a mixing bowl. Add the Cherries (and any juice) and mix and then let sit for about 20-minutes. It will seem like a lot of sweetener, but it’s not unless your cherries are abnormally sweet and tasty.
In a separate mixing bowl mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and almonds. If your berries don’t seem very sweet add another 4th cup sweetener/sugar to this mix. Add Vanilla.
Dice the butter into teeny tiny cubes. Blend it into the dry mix. The butter cubes will help form the crumbles as it bakes.
Grease a 9-inch cake pan. Add cherry mixture. Then add your dry mix to the top and lightly press. Bake for about 30-minutes or until you see your fruit bubbling.
Serve with Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh droooool. I love cherries and this sounds yummy!
YUM!!! I wish I had some cherries to work with! :)
hi Charissa im ur fan from Mexico, i like to read ur blog... xoxo
Post a Comment